Trails Forever, Volunteer Management Intern
8/30/2013 12:00:00 AM
San Francisco, CA
Are you excited to learn about trail and landscape management? Are you interested in working with a broad range of audiences in the Golden Gate National Parks through trail restoration projects and community-based volunteer programs?
Trails Forever, a park wide initiative, and the Park Stewardship Program engage and sustain a vibrant community of stewards in restoration of trails within the Golden Gate National Parks. With over 80,000 acres of parkland scattered throughout three counties the Golden Gate Trail Crew plays a vital role in the park visitor experience. Volunteers help maintain a world-class trail system, with the understanding that active engagement in the parklands leads to a deeper appreciation of their value.
Overview of Internship
The Trail Volunteer Management Intern will assist the Trails Stewardship Program Manager in the administration of the Trails Volunteer Program. In addition, the Trail Volunteer Management Intern will assist with construction and maintenance projects on park trails in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo counties.
Description of Duties
- Assist with all aspects of managing a volunteer program and coordinating outreach. This includes:
- Plan and assist with weekly trail restoration volunteer events
- Develop educational materials for on-site landscape management discussions
- Communicate with program managers and volunteers via phone calls and email correspondence
o Maintain Trails Forever volunteer database
- Create, edit, and produce monthly electronic newsletters
- Develop flyers and posters for volunteer program
- Demonstrate proper and safe tool handling techniques with volunteers
- Follow instructions from all park staff, understand and respect all park policies.
- Participate in trail constructions and maintenance projects. This includes:
- Attend, and occasionally lead, workdays with volunteers at various park sites
- Brush trails, out-slope trail tread, and clear drainage structures
- Understand and follow all safety regulations and priorities while working the field and office
- Record and complete daily work-performed log
- Previous experience working with volunteers
- Enjoy working with a diverse community of people
- Enthusiasm and experience with public speaking
- Desire to learn trail maintenance and construction techniques
- Desire to learn how to operate trail tools and experience trail maintenance work
- Familiarity with and/or desire to learn natural and cultural history of Golden Gate National Parks and the role of trails in protecting these resources
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, and ArcGIS a plus.
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions
- Ability to work in environments where exposure to poison oak and ticks is possible Indoor work is performed in a typical office setting
- Ability to lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Gain a working knowledge of trail construction and maintenance with a highly respected non-profit organization, with a model partnership between two Federal agencies.
- Opportunity to attend personal/professional development days to pursue an interest, including training and education opportunities in various departments within the National Park Service and the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy.
- Opportunity to live in and enjoy the scenery, wildlife and cultural resources of a spectacular National Park.
- Opportunities to work with staff and volunteers from diverse backgrounds that share a common interest in preserving and protecting our natural lands
Terms Application deadline:
Open until filled Desired start date: August/September 2013
Length of position:
One year from start Schedule: 40 hours per week, Tuesday thru Saturday Driver’s license required
Compensation Weekly out-of-pocket expenses of $125 per week is provided with dorm-style housing OR
$250 per week without housing.